Wednesday, September 14, 2011

When it rains it pours/Don't forget your towel

Yesterday, it rained. Hard. Today, it rained. Hard. They weather here has been extremely unpleasant. I really can't leave the apartment without a towel. Because when deathly hot out, it's also deathly humid. From the house to the train on a hot day, my armpits become the Mississippi delta, my chest becomes the fertile crescent and a general deluge pours forth from every pore, soaking my clothes, making me dehydrated, making me smell horrible, and making my very existence mostly uncomfortable. Here's the best part; everyone else smells too. So that sucks.
But today it rained. And it doesn't just rain here apparently, it pours. So from the house to the train, my feet were soaked, and my shorts were on their way. Let me set the scene though. I slept 10 hours last night...a good, long rest. But I woke up feeling like I had been tackled by Ray Lewis, and then while I was unconscious, that I had dreamt about being tackled by Ray Lewis. It was a combination of all the various mental, emotional and physical stressors I suppose.
So I dragged my ass out of bed and immediately took some ibprofien to alleviate my stiff neck and shoulders. Then I had the pleasant suprise of discovering a stye in my right eye. So the treatment for a stye is a hot water compress. Enter the trusty towel again. So I go down to get some water from the water boiler and come back up. Of course the water is not just hot, it's hot enough to smelt iron. So the dye from the towel bleeds off into the water. Another complication in an already crappy day. :-/
So while I'm on the MRT in dawns on me. I am going to have to haul my ass out to Donghu EVERY goddamn weekday for the next two months. It's a 45 minute commute at minimum and like a mile at least of walking every day. When I was in America, Taiwan seemed so far away, and it was. I didn't think about things like daily commute because I was so caught up in the adventure of it all. But bnow that it's upon me, I am thinking about it.
 Anyway, so by the time I get to work, I am just totally miserable. The workplace is chaotic too. They are understaffed and can't get people to work there because the school also is like daycare so there's so much work to do. The school is modern but it's too damn small. There isn't enough room for anything. So I show up and I get to teach again with like zero notice. I planned a few things before the class. The class was off the wall, they are like 7 year olds or  younger. Excuse my language for the next passage...I'm going to give it a little flavor to express my point...to spare your delicate eyes I will put (*), and you can insert your own expletive.
So I get upstairs, and the (*) classroom is full of children who are (*) sleeping...in sleeping bags. (*) NOBODY speaks English on the staff upstairs and this girls father is just (*) standing there watching me as I look like an (*) because I clearly have no (*) idea what to do with this class of kids who are just (*) wandering around with no physical space to stand or sit. Then we get inside this tiny little (*) classroom and the kids are all (*) standing on the bench chair things. I finally get them seated, sort of, then the (*) TA busts in and starts handing out these papers like she's in the last quarter of the indie 500 for a spelling test. Then she hands me this schedule even though I already made one and said this is what we're doing. I'm looking at her like "what the (*) are you doing?", "what the (*) is this?", "I have a plan already and this (*) test is not part of it", "are you the teacher or the TA?, "WT(*)?". So then, as I'm scrambling to give this (*) test, none of the kids have any (*) pencils! "Teacher Justin! I need a pencil!" Then these little (*) are shoving there pencils in my face so I can sharpen them because they can't say it in English or do it either apparently. This one little kid is (*) freaking out cause he doesn't have his grammar book and he's like hysterically crying and I keep telling him it's OK but he doesn't seem to get it. So I'm trying to bang out these sections and it was rough going the whole time...but I got through it. OK that's the end of the bad language for now.
Oh wait, nevermind, I'm not done yet. So then, I'm done the class and it's time to copy documents for my foreigners card. So I'm talking to one of the office staff who only half speaks English. She wants to copy every (*) page of the passport. Then I have to sign all the goodamn pages...of which there are like 26. Then it's time to get my picture taken again because apparently I need to have a(*)magazine quality picture for this(*)foreigner's card even though I already got one in the photo booth on day one. So who does she send with me? The one girl in the front office who speaks NO (*) English. On the way I need some food so I have like a few rounds of sherades with these people even though I asked "Chu Shu shumu tzui tai?" (is this vegetable) I forgot the obligitory "ma" which demarcates a "yes" or "no" question, so they just babbled at me in Chinese and I ended up just telling her to give me "that"...whatever the (*) "that" is. So I get all that done, then I come back on the train and my (*) cell phone runs out of minutes. Of course I have no (*) clue how to add them so I go to 7/11 and make it happen with the help of this very helpful employee and the use of only "you can?" and "I can?" OK now it's the end of the cursing section for real.
Anyway, I'm back home now and it's 8 pm and I feel like I don't have that much time to do stuff now and I have to do it again tomorrow. I know it will get better, but as they say, when it rains it pours.










The pictures here are from two days ago, I haven't taken any since because I've been in survival mode.

2 comments:

  1. Well I must say you just made my day. I love your combined optimism/cynicism. Very entertaining...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahahahah worst day ever. . . the good news is you'll probably get in better shape since it's like a sauna constantly. this sounds like a movie for real

    ReplyDelete