Thursday, October 6, 2011

Fired again...hired again

           So there's good news and bad news. The bad news is, I got fired...again. The good news is, I got hired...again. This is crazy. The adult English school fired me because they said I was too informal. There was a point at which I was told to use the phone to call my old school. My manager made it a point to not go behind the desk. Later, I needed to explain to one of the secretaries what to say to my old school in Chinese...so I went behind the desk and talked to her. Fatal error.
            Also, the fact that I wasn't patient enough in his eyes with the employee who was on the phone who I was having difficulty speaking to in English in that I just decided to hand the phone to the secretary instead of saying what I had to say again, then handing the phone over. Also, apparently there is a personal space thing when talking to new business colleagues which I did not observe well enough...I wasn't far enough away from people when I was talking to them I think. Also, he though I had been trained at Hess, which I was not. So he thought I had been oriented already and told about culture shock and so forth, which I was not. So all that was enough to get rid of me. I'll be damned. I can't seem to hold a job.

           So I had another job offer pending for public school which obviously I have now accepted. I was a little foolish in that I bought all these formal clothes for the new job (which I needed) and now I can't get my money back. I actually had them made because it's hard to find shirts that fit me here and it's relatively cheap to get fitted clothes here. Anyway...that was stupid and an unnecessary purchase. At least I was able to put it on credit so I can pay it off a bit at a time.
           I don't know what to say guys. I tried not to get fired this time. I did. I tried to act more humble and dress right and not say too much of what I think. But I wasn't able to pick up on what he was putting down. He said they have really high paying clients who are not at all accepting of errors in formality. They are CEO's and people like that. So that's why he couldn't have someone there that was going to make cultural faux pas(sp?) like that.
           He gave me some insights into why I may have been fired from my last job. It seems I probably made some of the same "territorial" errors there. Also, he said, bosses here won't tend to tell you what they actually want and you kind of just have to figure it out. Also, when bosses ask for your opinion, they don't really want to know. They just want you to see how nice and awesome they are because they asked. They're not really interested in you...they're just interested in saving face. So once again, my bad on that one.  He said if I had gone through Hess training, I would have had these things explained to me. Of course as I mentioned before, I did not go through training.
           I'm going to give this one last shot. If I get fired again I'm coming back home. Maybe I'll join the wall street occupation.

1 comment:

  1. Don't give up, Justin! Sounds like your most recent boss had some helpful advice. I think you are going to nail this next job; I also think you are going to look back on all of this and laugh.

    Emerging yourself into a completely new culture is scary, and you are really brave for accepting the challenge.

    Also, I've really been enjoying your blog, and it would be a shame to lose one of my procrastination outlets.

    ReplyDelete