Sunday, October 2, 2011

Unemployed

                OK, so for reasons which I am not going to get into, I am currently unemployed. I think maybe all the stress combined with all the work at the same time made me a rather sour fellow. My job satisfaction appeared to be none and my boss and I have decided to part ways. I'm not really sure if I got fired or if I quit. I've decided to accept the fact that I probably did something wrong and didn't know about it. Another way to look at it is I have now achieved being unemployed in two different countries...how many people can say that? Anyway, it's not important anymore. What IS important is that I find a job so I can get my green card and keep living it up in Taiwan.

I am starting to be comfortable here. I got this thing called Strong VPN which basically gives me an American IP address so I can watch netflix and hulu.

STREAMING TV AND MOVIES ACHIEVED!!!

I've gotten some of the jitters out and I'm not spending money like a drunken sailor anymore. Which is good, since I already spent it all hahaha. But it's cool, cause I got paid for the time I worked already. So it should be enough to tide me till I get a new job. I have an interview on Monday and also another offer for a public school job. The public school one is a bit weird so I am going to try for this one on Monday which I believe to be an adult teaching gig. The public school is a schedule of 12 hours on Monday and Tuesday. Then 8 on Wednesday. Every other Thursday, I would have 4 hours of work. So that means every other week I have four days off. Sounds nifty.
I don't seem to have the best luck with teaching positions. So I am beginning to look at alternative ways of getting paid. I may look into music here because you can apparently actually get paid for playing well here...a novel concept in America no doubt. So the plan is get my ARC (green card) then I'll be free to do what I want basically. I am impressed by the entrepreneurial spirit here. Basically everyone I talk to tells me I should start a business here. It's like the second thing that people suggest. I'm not too keen on that idea, but at the very least I think I could freelance as a musician, music teacher, and/or tutor.

I don't have a whole lot of insightful things to say this week...it's a tsunami week...raining all the time. Plus I am once again in survival mode. But this time it's much more comfortable. Once I get a new job I plan to travel and see more of the city and of Taiwan. Of course I have to get the job first. So I'll let you all know how it goes. For now, enjoy these amusing images which explain my current condition.
http://positivesharing.com/2006/09/how-to-lose-your-fear-of-being-fired/

1 comment:

  1. Dear Justin,
    I read your blog posts from beginning to last just now. I am hooked; and not because I am your aunt. Byron Katie (still one of my favorites)says: "Where you "are" in exactly where you should be. How do you know that's true? Because it's where you are (for the moment anyway). So, here you are! Love,
    Aunt Eileen

    ReplyDelete