Friday, October 7, 2011

Pillars of Success

            I am feeling better today. I met with the recruiter from my new job and he has said I could have my work permit by next Friday, which means I could be working by Monday. This weekend is a holiday. 10/10 ...national day.  So on Tuesday, I intend to start going to the school to meet and observe the teachers who have been training there already for a few weeks. This is a possible snagging point...so I'm going to make sure I get there early and start training as soon as I can. Although I won't be paid for training, bosses have already shown that they will have no mercy on you even if you have not been properly trained and also, it will keep my out of trouble this week since I can allow myself almost no budgetary indulgences. I have taken inspiration from all my friends and family back home who continue to encourage me to persevere through my rising mountain of failures and embarrassments...also from kind and supportive new friends who I have met here in Taiwan. I have also taken courage from some good passages in some books I've been reading...here is one.
             "Failures are but the pillars of success. To learn by our failures is to achieve success. never to have failed is never to have won. Unless we experience failure and its bitterness, we never appreciate the sweetness of victory; it becomes merely a turn of events that is of little or no interest. Failures not only help us to succeed, they make us energetic, enthusiastic, and rich in experience.
'We live and work and dream,
       Each has his little scheme,
Sometimes we laugh;
       Sometimes we cry,
And thus the days go by.'"-Dr. K. Sri Dhammananda The Buddhist Way

These pictures are from the area called "Sheng Kai Sheck Memorial"...there are multiple structures there...it's sort of like the national mall in DC.








No comments:

Post a Comment