Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Re-employed


So today I got a job teaching adults at a language school called *omitted*. It seems nice. The atmosphere is relaxed, professional and quiet. I will need to be trained in their system which will take like a month. I'm going to try hard not to get fired from this one. But it seems like they are pretty straight forward about what they want. So I won't miss it if they tell me to do something. I was talking to another new employee and she was telling me that this company is renown to be a great place to work. It doesn't have a lot of the other pitfalls of "asian" style education or management because it is a multi-national corporation...one of the largest schools. This is also good because if I can stick it out at this company, there's a good future here or even in a different country with these guys. I will be teaching 30 hours a week...small classes of 3-8 adults...maybe some larger classes...I actually don't exactly know yet.
Right now I'm at the *omitted* branch training. But later I will be at the *omitted* branch...further south...but I have also heard good things about that one too. The downside is that I will have to get paid very little for about a month of training...so I have to live very lean for a month or two...which I am apparently fabulously bad at. Anyway, I'm happy that I'm no longer working with children and their crazy parents. I heard horror stories about other language schools in other Asian countries like Korea. Like if a kid has a spelling error on his homework, all the parents are called in for a conference and you may loose your job. Also, the bosses typically yell and scream at you even when something is not directly your fault. Crappy. I also have to finagle my documents to get my ARC...this is tricky. I may have to make a visa run to Hong Kong if we can't get it done in time. I can't wait to have all this nonsense out of the way so I can work and stop worrying about how I'm going to survive. Cause I can't even get a loan until I have this ARC...so it really is not fun not having one. I still have my master card though so that will enable me to buy some work related clothes items perhaps...like the shoes I bought today. But what the hell am I going to do? Show up in sneakers? I had to buy some shoes. Maybe I didn't have to spend as much as I did...but it was like either 60 or 100 and I figured if I'm buying them anyway I might as well get the good ones...it's on credit either way.
There's this giant department store next to the place I trained at today. So much stuff. I saw Indian food for the first time since I've been in Taipei. It's pricey for Taiwan, but cheap for America.
This brings me to my next point. People keep on saying stuff like well it's so much cheaper here than America. That's all relative...at this point, it doesn't make a difference how many American dollars something is. I'm not IN American...I'm in Taiwan. And I'm getting paid a Taiwanese salary. OK maybe I lied a little...it does matter. But still, I need to begin to gauge what is reasonable to pay for an item by Taiwanese standards. You can eat for 300NT a day easy. That's 10 dollars American. But clothes are expensive. It's like 30 bucks for a tie. I guess it's the same in America. Anyway, I got sidetracked doing some other stuff and now I'm tired. So that's the end of this entry. Goodnight!

1 comment: